Construction and demolition is a significant and growing part of landfill waste in California. A large percentage of construction and demolition materials can be recycled.
The City of Watsonville and the California Green Business Standards Code require recycling of at least 65% of materials generated at construction and demolition projects. The City has developed the Construction Waste Management Plan in order to help contractors meet the requirement.
You are required to use City services for garbage. You may use other companies for recyclables.
The City can provide you with the following services:
- Reusable items/materials - separate before/during demolition - take to Last Chance Mercantile, Habitat for Humanity store, Goodwill or other
- Concrete - up to 15 cy drop box, filled to 2/3 full
- Dirt - up to 15 cy drop box, filled to 2/3 full
- Plastic (all types except Styrofoam)
- Plastic wrapping/Shrink wrap
- Mixed office recyclables: office paper, glass & plastic bottles and cans, metal and plastic food containers
- Yard waste - no palm, no ice plant
- ADC - painted wood, roofing material, shingles, drywall, Hardi plank, ceiling tiles, brick, ceramic tile
- Reusable items left over from project
- Electronics, batteries, appliances, tires, mattresses, light bulbs and Household Hazardous Waste Call 768-3133
- Light fixtures with fluorescent lights and/or ballasts Call 768-3133
- Carpet/pad (accepted only at Buena Vista Landfill located at 1231 Buena Vista Dr. (831) 454-2430
- Sheetrock/gypsum/drywall (Take to Buena Vista Landfill (831) 454-2430 or to Monterey Regional Waste Management (831) 384-5313)
- Insulation: Rigid or fiberglass
- Pressure Treated Lumber (Monterey Regional Waste Management (831) 384-5313)
- Linoleum/vinyl flooring
- Job Office/Lunchroom garbage (food Styrofoam, restroom waste)