Groundwater Cleanup Discharge Permits
The City of Watsonville Source Control regulates wastewater discharges from groundwater remediation sites and requires permit approval prior to any discharge to the sanitary sewer.
Who needs a groundwater remediation discharge permit?
Land with contaminated groundwater may undergo a remediation process, which partly consists of pumping out the groundwater and treating it to remove contaminants. The discharge to the sanitary sewer of this treated water requires obtaining a City of Watsonville Groundwater Cleanup Discharge Permit from the City of Watsonville Source Control.
How do I apply for a groundwater remediation discharge permit?
To obtain a permit, you must fully complete a City of Watsonville Groundwater Cleanup Discharge Permit application. The application asks for detailed information on the contaminants identified in the groundwater and the groundwater treatment that will be implemented to remove the contaminants.
Discharges to the sanitary sewer must meet the effluent limitations identified in the City of Watsonville Groundwater Cleanup Discharge Permit from groundwater-contaminated sites. Typical groundwater cleanup permitted effluent limitations must meet the following limits:
Maximum Concentration allowed in discharges
|mg/L (ppm)||ug/L (ppb)|
|Total petroleum hydrocarbons (TPH)||1.0||1,000|
How much does the discharge to the sewer from the groundwater remediation cost?
Groundwater remediation discharge rates can be viewed here Sewer Service Rates 2022-2023 and are listed as Ground Water Clean-Up. The applicant will be required to set up a utility account with the City of Watsonville. The utility billing for these groundwater remediation discharges is typically done on a monthly basis.
How do I apply for a City of Watsonville Groundwater Cleanup Discharge Permit?
To obtain a permit, you must fully complete a City of Watsonville Groundwater Cleanup Discharge Permit application. The application asks for detailed information on the groundwater contaminants and the remediation treatment process generating wastewater for disposal. If you have any questions, please contact the City of Watsonville Source Control at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (831) 768-3173.
The following general instructions apply to the application:
- There is no fee associated with the issuance of this permit.
- Answer all of the questions and include attachments as required. Incomplete applications will be returned to you.
- If you do not have an answer for the requested information, indicate so and explain why.
- Indicate “N/A” if a section does not apply to your operation.
- Use additional pages, if needed (applies to print application).
How to Submit your completed application
- Complete the application online using the City of Watsonville Groundwater Cleanup Discharge Permit Application link
- Complete and email a copy of this PDF application to Jim Crowley at email@example.com or Cory Miyabara at firstname.lastname@example.org or print it and mail a copy to:
City of Watsonville
Water Resources Center
Attn: Source Control
500 Clearwater Lane
Watsonville, CA 95076