- Community Development
- I Want To...
- Learn About
- Cannabis Facilities
The Pre-Application period for Cannabis Facilities will be open September 15, 2020-October 15, 2020
To submit a Pre-Application for cultivation, processing, manufacturing, distribution, testing, or retail sales of cannabis, please click on the links below:
|License Type||Cultivation||Manufacturing||Distribution||Processing||Retail||Testing||Non-storefront delivery*|
|# open market||0||14||1||1||2||Unlimited||6|
|# equity set-aside||1||1||1||1||1||1||1|
On June 23, 2020, the Watsonville City Council adopted revisions to Watsonville Municipal Code Chapter 14-53 (Cannabis Facilities). These changes became effective on July 23, 2020. The major changes in the ordinance are outlined below:
Cannabis Businesses Regulated:
- 6 cultivation permits (up to 22,000 sf, indoor)
- 15 manufacturing permits
- 3 processing permits
- 3 retail dispensary permits
- 2 distribution permits
- Testing permits
- Up to 7 non-storefront delivery permits for cultivator/manufacturer/processers
Cannabis businesses may be located on up to 2 parcels with 1 permit:
In order to allow existing businesses to expand, all cannabis businesses may apply for a secondary permit on a second parcel in the City. For businesses that propose expansion onto a second parcel with the same ownership structure, a Minor Modification Permit shall be required. For businesses that propose a modified business structure for the second location, an Administrative Use Permit shall be required and all new owners/investors must submit to a background check.
Modification of Separation Requirements
|School (K-12)*||600'||600'||600'||600'|| 600'|
|Legal residential use||100'||100'||100'||100'|
|Faith based facility, licensed daycare, preschool or library||600'||600'||600'||600'|
* Separation distance from K-12 schools shall be measured from property line to property line. Separation distance for cultivation facilities shall be measured from parcel line of sensitive use to nearest wall of cultivation facility. Separation distance for all other cannabis facilities shall be measured by path of travel from nearest parcel line of sensitive use to the front door of the facility. Separation distance from K-12 schools shall be measured from property line to property line.
Distance is measured in 3 ways:
- For all facilities, property line to property line measurement from schools
- For cultivation, property line of sensitive use to nearest wall of cannabis facility
- For all other cannabis facilities, path of travel from sensitive use to main door of the cannabis facility
The previous ordinance allowed only 1 licensee per parcel. The revised ordinance allows multiple licenses on one parcel.
Background checks for employees no longer required
Background checks are required for owners and managers of the cannabis business only.
Allowable Zoning Districts
|1A||Cultivation, indoor, up to 5,000 sf||SUP||SUP||X||X|
|2A||Cultivation, indoor, up to 10,000 sf||SUP||SUP||X||X|
|3A||Indoor, between 10,001 and 22,000 sf||SUP||SUP||X||X|
|6||Manufacturer 1, for products not using volatile solvents||AUP||AUP||X||X|
|7||Manufacturer 2, for products using volatile solvents||AUP||AUP||X||X|
SUP = Special Use Permit | AUP = Administrative Use Permit | X = Prohibited
For more information on the City’s regulations pertaining to cannabis facilities, please refer to Chapter 14-53 of the Watsonville Municipal Code.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to frequently asked questions
California Bureau of Cannabis Control
California Department of Health | Division of Food, Drug, and Cannabis Safety
California Department of Food and Agriculture | Cannabis Cultivation Licensing Regulations
California Department of Tax and Fee Administration | Tax Guide for Cannabis Businesses
Legal Residential Use
Faith based facility, licensed daycare, preschool or library