The Airport Blvd. Improvements Project began on Monday, April 23, 2018. Graniterock will be making improvements to the street, sidewalk, and bus stops. Access to driveways and sidewalks will be impacted at various times throughout the project. Photo of Graniterock crew is courtesy of Tarmo Hanula of the Register Pajaronian.
Traffic control measures will be in place to alert pedestrians and motorists of roadway construction. Below is an approximate schedule for the project:
April 23rd to June 1st - Sidewalk and Curb & Gutter Removal and Replacement
- Sidewalks will be closed at various locations but strategically to keep pedestrian access around the work.
- Driveways within job limits will be temporarily closed at various times for reconstruction.
- Bus stops within work limits (3 ea.) will be shut down one at a time for required work at each of the locations.
June 4th to June 22nd - Roadway Reconstruction
- Portions of Airport Blvd. will be closed for several days to allow reconstruction of roadway.
- Driveways will have limited access while work is occurring in front of driveways.
Existing sidewalk, driveways and curb ramps will be replaced. A much desired new crosswalk with flashing beacon pedestrian signs will be installed near Safeway, as well as a new refuge island providing a safe waiting area for more time to cross if needed. On the north-side of Airport Blvd., new sidewalk with curb ramps will be installed. The existing bus stop will be upgraded to include a bus pullout and a wheelchair landing pad. Additionally, the sidewalks near Freedom Blvd. will be replaced along with striping and signs throughout that area. It's anticipated that all the improvements will be completed by August. Residents can do their part to stay safe by paying attention and not texting while driving or crossing streets; and by obeying signals and using crosswalks.
Most of the project costs will be covered by grants the City received through the Highway Safety Improvement Program and the State Transportation Improvement Program with the remaining portion paid by the City's Gas Tax funds.
The project area (limits) are from the intersection of Freedom Blvd. and Airport Blvd., 1300 ft. North East along Airport Blvd. including the entire roadway and sidewalks. For additional information, contact Public Works' Engineering at (831) 768-3100.